A few highlights from 2018.
- Best album? I usually choose some kind of best album of the year, but I haven’t listened to enough new music this year to give it a fair assessment. But here are a few “new to me” albums I discovered that I liked. Admittedly all of these are quite old. Ha!
- Live at the Star Club (1964) – Jerry Lee Lewis
- Reckoning (1984) – REM
- The Hissing of the Summer Lawns (1975) – Joni Mitchell
- Native Sons (1984) – The Long Ryders
- In My Own Time (1969) and It’s So Hard to Tell Who’s Going to Love You the Best (1971) – Karen Dalton
- Best films. Again, I’m going to have to revert to a list of my favourite films I saw (for the first time) in 2018, rather than confining it to films that were released in 2018.
- The Florida Project (2017) by Sean Baker
- Chikamatsu Monogatari (1954) by Kenji Mizoguchi
- The Red Balloon (1956) by Albert Lamorisse
- BlackKKlansman (2018) by Spike Lee
- Phantom Thread (2017) by Paul Thomas Anderson
- Books? Well, I tried to read as much Manitoba writing as I could in 2018 including Casey Plett, Miriam Toews, Kate Bowler, Katherina Vermette, Patrick Friesen, Margaret Sweatman, John Weier, Audrey Poetker-Thiessen, and Owen Toews. I honestly enjoyed all of these books. A lot of talent (and this is just scratching the surface) in such a small province. I also really enjoyed the Steinbach history book by Ralph Friesen called Between Earth and Sky and wrote a review of it for Mennotoba. Oh, and I finally read Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death, which seems eerily relevant even 30 years later.
- I was focusing on other writing projects this year, so I didn’t post on this website all that often. However, here are the most popular posts of 2018 on andrewjbergman.ca
- You can find the most popular posts on The Daily Bonnet here.
- And the most popular posts on Mennotoba here.
Happy New Year, everyone!